Sunday, March 25, 2018

About myself and my dog Nina


About two years ago my family decided to adopt a rescue dog. A cute little black and white spotted puppy being shipped up from Tennessee. We're still not sure what breed she is, but who cares? She's cute.

We were able to find out a little background information on where the came from and why she was put up for adoption from the shelter where she stayed for a month or two. Her previous owner apparently didn't want her (or her two siblings) so he was going to shoot them! Thankfully, a neighbor took the puppies and kept them in a garage until they could be put in a shelter. Seriously, how could you harm such a cute face. She has a lot of trust issues with strangers, but she's getting better ever so slowly.


I myself am a full time college student, I transferred schools so I'm on the six year plan...  I've always wanted to do more hiking but never had anyone available to hike with, and have worked on a farm during the summer so I get next to zero days off. But, after I did a couple short practice hikes with Nina I decided screw it, I'm just going to hike by myself, and the dog of coarse.

I had hiked Mt. Washington with my family and several others the year before, so I decided to hike the rest of the 4,000 footers. I thought that it would be cool to say that my dog has hiked all of them. Having hiked the tallest one, we set out one morning to scale the shortest 4,000 foot peak, Mt. Tecumseh.

I didn't realize how easily we would catch the hiking bug! My original thoughts were that we would do about 5 peaks a year, and to finish before Nina got too old to hike all day. Well, two years and 27 peaks later we are excited to start our season as early as possible and to conquer the remaining 21 summits this season.
Mt. Monroe looking at Mt. Washington.
One of the very few pictures  I have of myself at a summit, they're usually just Nina

No comments:

Post a Comment